Sunday 13 March 2022

INTERVIEW ON HOW TO PREPARE FOR CS EXAMS- Mr AJAY KUMARAN

 Hearty Congratulations on a positive result in CS Professional. Understand you are just left with one paper to clear. Pl tell your journey so far

 I registered for CS Executive Programme in the year 2014 and completed the Executive Programme only by 2017 and I was able to clear 8 out of 9 papers from Professional Programme from 2018 till 2021. During this period, I completed B.com and LL.B degrees in full time and enrolled as member with Bar Council of India. From June, 2019 till September, 2020, I completed 15 months CS training at Lencorp Legal and I am presently working as an Associate at Fox Mandal & Associates, Corporate Compliance Team.

 Were you doing training and writing CS exams simultaneously? If so how did you manage both?

 Yes. As mentioned above, I was doing training and writing CS exams simultaneously and was able to clear one module i.e., 3rd module of professional old syllabus. It was simple for me, as I was given sufficient leaves such as 1 month time (including exam days) for preparation, since I already attended classes and wrote an attempt it was easy to clear one module during training as I only did revisions. Moreover, the exposure during my training period helped me a lot to pass exams as I was drafting resolutions practically and during the exam also I knew how to present the paper professionally. Under the new syllabus since module 2 have the core subjects, I would suggest to commence training before appearing for module 2. Trust me it will have an impact on your results.

 You were one of the students who have written both in old syllabus and new syllabus; tell us that experience of shifting from Old to New syllabus- how did you find new syllabus papers after switching over?

 When I cleared 1st and 3rd modules of old syllabus and was attending classes for the 2nd module of old syllabus which consisted of Financial management paper and IT paper, I found it very difficult as I was weak with numbers and technical terms used in IT paper, but still I made one attempt of the 2nd module and came out unsuccessful.

 It was when I decided to switch over to new syllabus as under new syllabus the papers pending were corporate funding, Ethics and MDCS (open book). One comfort that I had preparing for these papers was having a fresh mind when switching over to new syllabus and I somehow had a vibrant approach to the papers in new syllabus. I should also thank the institute for drafting the study materials under new syllabus very easily understandable way and completely reliable for facing exams. The time has come now for students where they can completely rely on the ICSI study materials which was not in the case of old syllabus.

 Please tell how you prepared for CS exams; which books to follow and any online classes that will be helpful

 I have only appeared and cleared Corporate funding and MDCS papers under new syllabus, for Corporate Funding paper, the trick is to cover the part-B (listing) first as it is only 4 chapters but worth 40 marks, for this one should be thorough with the latest SEBI listing regulations. I would suggest to get this from the SEBI website itself as that would be reliable. In part A, for the last 2 sessions they have tested on the sums relating to working capital for at least 10 marks in last 2 sessions, and this you can easily score all 10 marks by reading just 2 papers of the study material.

 Coming to MDCS, the key aspect is to follow a uniform structure throughout all case study questions such as, facts, issues, relevant provision and decision. The questions from 2 to 6 are generally from the ICSI study material and you can easily take reference and write the answers. The 1st question would be challenging for which there might not be direct reference from the ICSI study material so interpreting and writing your own answers is required. The preparation time may be allotted very less for this paper, like a glance of the cases on a daily basis would be sufficient and on the exam day I would suggest to take with you the ICSI study material along with all bare acts that are covered in the case studies. Even a small act like equal remuneration act which is mentioned in only one or two case study will also be helpful in the exam. 

 I have never tried online classes in my CS career, so couldn’t comment on that.

 What are your future career plans?

 Hopefully after clearing the ethics paper and obtaining membership number, I would continue working with my current law firm, Fox Mandal & Associates as am looking this relationship as a long term to build my career in one of the prestigious law firms in India.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Mr. Ajay for your sharing your study strategy and Thankful to Mohan sir.

    Thanks
    Srijit kurup

    ReplyDelete