Sunday 13 March 2022

How to prepare for Cs exams: Ms. Saranya & Ms Maithri

                            INTERVIEW ON HOW TO PREPARE FOR CS EXAMS


Hearty Congratulations on completing CS Professional successfully. How long it took for you to clear the entire course?

Ms. Saranya

I started the course in 2009. I appeared for my first Executive exam in December 2009 and second module in June 2010 and cleared the same.

Subsequently I had to take a break from appearing in Professional exam. I cleared one module in Professional Programme in 2014 in old syllabus.

In 2020 I took a break and pursued the professional level continuously.

Ms, Maithri  

I started this wonderful journey right after I passed 12th. I could clear the foundation with All India 21st Rank. There was no CSEET at that time. I joined B.Com which was integrated with CS and simultaneously prepared for the Executive program. As I was not taking any coaching, the first executive attempt was a new experience for me. I followed lectures on youtube and did self study for Executive also as I did for Foundation. 

 

I downloaded all the previous Question Papers available on the ICSI website and found out the paper pattern, question types and most important chapters myself. I prepared a plan of action based on all the previous year question papers. I could find that some of the same topics/ questions are asked repeatedly. Based on that plan of action I cleared Executive Module- 1 first and then Module- 2.

 

Then, I directly joined for an internship in a PCS firm in Thiruvananthapuram. I did one year training there and one year in a Govt. Company in Kerala. I then cleared professional program Module-1 first, then Module-2 and finally Module- 3.

Were you doing training and writing CS exams simultaneously? If so how did you manage both?


Ms. Saranya

Yes. I underwent training while appearing for exams. After my working hours at the training office, I had another career also to pursue. I was also working as a manager for a group company. I had to take care of finance and general administration of that company also. So my schedule was pretty tight.

During the COVID lockdown from March 2020 gave me a break from hectic office work. I utilized this period to speed up my preparations. This is how I managed my preparations.


Ms Maithri

Yes, starting days it was difficult for me as that was my first working experience also. But later I could find out that whatever we study we apply in that work life, especially Company Law. I passed the first module during training time only. But, I would like to suggest to my friends to pass the professionals and then go for training as it will obviously be not easy to manage.  

First attempt I wrote both modules together and I found it gives me more pressure. Hence, I chose to concentrate on one module and write both modules exams so that I can get experience in writing exams also. I took 2 months to complete one module and then one time revision only and also invested one month in the other module which I did study without going deep. I could not do many revisions.

Please tell how you prepared for CS exams ; which books to follow and any online classes that will be helpful- (please share only for the subjects that is present now in New syllabus)

Ms. Saranya

With respect to study materials, I relied upon Institute’s books only. I wanted additional help for two subjects, viz., Advanced Tax Law and Financial, Treasury and Forex Management. I attended classroom coaching conducted by Institute’s Coimbatore Chapter for Advanced Tax Law and Online Class for FTFM.

For all the other subjects I used Institute’s study material and supplement. I also referred the Guideline answers for all the subjects published by the Institute. For doubts in specific topics I referred exclusive videos in youtube.

For Advanced Tax Laws, CS Sachin sir’s class was very detailed and easy to understand.

For open book exam, Multi-Disciplinary Case Studies and Electives, I did indexing using sticky notes while going through the study material. It was very helpful. My elective subject was Intellectual Property Rights. So I referred few case laws available in the respective websites and Internet – Trademark, Patent, Geographical Indications, Copyright.

Ms Maithri


As I did the Old syllabus I think it is better if I can share some paper presenting methods with you rather than sharing how to prepare.

a.    Always attempt all the questions. Even if you don’t know the answer just try answering it with whatever knowledge you have that may be related to that. I could find a very positive shift in my marks once I started attending all the questions. And always start the paper with the question you know you will give your best.

b.    Write answer point wise or in small paragraphs. Even if the answer is a little bit lengthy, try to present it in small paragraphs.

c.    Highlight the main points by underlining.

d.    In practical papers such as Advanced Tax and GST always write detailed working notes. We can give like #WN-1, #WN-2 like that.

e.    Try to draw margins on the right side of the paper.

f.     Mention the question number clearly in the space given like “Answer to the Question No;”

g.    Write only one answer on one page. Even if there is only one line written on a page, always start a new question on a fresh page.

h.    Write the sections and case laws only if we have 100 percent confidence that it's right. Don’t write if you are confused.

 

I could score 66 in my Open book so I think I can share some tips I used for Open Book

 

1.    The subject I elected was Intellectual Property Rights. I only used the Guideline answers given by ICSI as my reference material in the exam hall with the ICSI study material. I think too much reference text books will not help us.

2.    I have gone through all the guideline answers of all previous years given by ICSI and prepared a note on which each year what all questions are asked was written. The note contained the question numbers and what was asked so that if any question comes with the same topic (Sometimes same questions also come) we can refer to the ICSI guideline answer and frame our answers accordingly.

3.    Don’t completely copy what is given in the study material. It is better if we give an introduction, conclusion and all. For introduction we can refer to what is given as an introduction to each lesson. For eg.- If there is a question on Copyright we can first give a small intro based on the introduction given for the lesson.

 

Finally, wishing all the very best to all upcoming Company Secretaries. Never ever think about quitting the journey in between or giving up. Though it takes time it is worth investing your time. Also, it is not at all like we can pass only if we go for coaching. Self study can also take us to the destination. Just keep in mind that Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. Do work hard and success will be yours!

 

What is your future career plans?

Ms. Saranya

I have planned to establish my career as a Practicing Company Secretary throughout South India, specializing in the following apart from secretarial work :

1. Trademark

2. GST

I have also planned to pursue ICSA, UK after completion of 2 years as per the MOU between ICSI and ICSA and bring in good standard and quality to my profession.

I wish to expand my horizon beyond domestic service. These would be my long term vision.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Ms. Maithri and Ms. Saranya,

    Thanks for your sharing the detailed information and strategies.

    Thanks.

    Srijit kurup

    ReplyDelete