Sunday 4 July 2021

CS Family- Interview with CS Venkat and CS Sailakshmi

 

1. Please share us your journey as a Student; how you were attracted to CS Course?



 CS Venkatasubramanian (Venkat)

 When I was in 12th std, there was a chapter in commerce subject wherein the role of company secretary was taken by my teacher and he explained that a company secretary is a person who acts as a bridge between company directors and their shareholders. Honestly, with my limited knowledge I understood the role of a CS as like an intermediary person who solves problems and I felt I could do this course.  

 Journey as a student, with the blessings of God I have cleared both foundation and intermediate in the first attempt but final took four attempts.

 CS Sailakshmi

 I came to know about CS course during 1st year of college. Initially, I thought of joining the CA course and my friend told me we can do CS instead and then I gave a thought and joined the CS course. Journey as a student, Like Venkat, I have also cleared my foundation and intermediate in the first attempt but final took four attempts.

 2. Where did you meet your spouse? How did the parents accept your marriage proposal?

 Cs Venkat

 Undoubtedly I met Mrs. Sailakshmi first in SIRC Institute when I came to pay my MSOP joining fee. We didn't know each other before. We become good friends post MSOP and which developed and progressed till marriage.

 When I opened up about our relationship, my parents understood things and took steps to approach her parents. Though it was like a congeneric arrangement, her parents took time to approve the scheme of arrangement.


 Cs Sailakshmi

 I met him first in MSOP.  We both and four other friends have become a group for all the events and presentations during our MSOP days.  We both became good friends and it turned to an everlasting relationship.

 Initially, it was a cold war when I opened up about our relationship to my parents. They took time to understand us and finally after 2 years, we got their approval and we got married in the year 2015.

 3. Do you think both being in the same profession as positive or negative? Are there any challenges in being in the same field?

 Cs Venkat

 Yes, Positive. Being in the same profession we know each other’s work clearly and hence could easily help each other in times of need.

 Cs Sailakshmi

 Being in the same profession, he not only understands my work, but also knows my behavioural positives and negatives and he will be able to offer better guidance than any other person.

 4. Share us about the Companies you worked as Cs and your progress in corporate/ Practice

 Cs Venkat

 I started my career with Everonn Education Limited under the mentorship of CS S Vijayanand. Initially, I was doing an internship there and later joined as an employee. I take this opportunity to thank CS Vijayanand who is my GURU and mentor both for my personal and professional life. It was wonderful learning to me from that Company. Later I worked with Matrimony.com, Laurus Edutech (P) Limited and currently, I am working with S.M.I.L.E. Microfinance Limited as Company Secretary and compliance officer. I have been working for this Company for the past five years. It gives me immense pleasure to work with directors and senior management people in SMILE.

 Cs Sailakshmi

 Initially, I started my career as a Secretarial trainee in R.Sridharan and Associates under the mentorship of Shri. R.Sridharan, Past president of ICSI and later worked as an employee for three years. It was like Gurukulam for me to start from scratch and I have gained good experience doing secretarial audits and mergers & acquisitions.  Post qualification I was working with Aspire Systems India Private Limited as Company Secretary for two years. Later I have started practice.

 5. Employment Vs Practice.. how do you see it?

 Cs Venkat

 We as CS family, post-marriage took a call that I will be in employment and she will take practice. It worked well for us.  A decade I was in employment with corporates as assistant company secretary and Company Secretary. Both practice and employment has its own advantages and disadvantages.  Though I was not into practice, I had the opportunity to understand it through my wife. We both work together and share knowledge more often.

 Cs Sailakshmi

 Initially, it was new to me to work in a corporate environment and later I have gained comfort working in corporates.  Post marriage I started to practice and it worked well and it was helpful for me to maintain the work-life balance. It is also financially advantageous to have fixed and variable income in a CS family. 

 6 Your marriage invitation was widely circulated in the CS Circle and was well appreciated. Can you elaborate on the same

 Cs Venkat

 We had three sets of invitation for our wedding.  One traditional card as parents suggested and one with full fun freak for our friends. The third one we thought as we both are in the CS profession our invite to CS and CA professional friends must be unique and catchy. It crossed my mind that we do have an agenda for the wedding so why not we can create a notice to our shareholders (i.e. well-wishers).

 Cs Sailakshmi

 We started pouring our thoughts and ideas to create the content in the style of an EGM notice ‘Eternally Granted Marriage’ and used the provisions of merger and acquisition and scheme of arrangements and edited suitably. It was shared in Facebook by CS Mohan Kumar and we have received lots of wishes and blessings from CS friends. We have given the link of the EGM Invitation once again here https://photos.app.goo.gl/2mYs9VCBaFdr7Ph46

 

7. How do you think that the CS profession progress in the years to come?

Cs Venkat



Any business new or old, big or small needs efficient Secretarial compliance services to sustain and grow. Compliances of a Company in top shape are a remarkable achievement that can help the business function smoothly and provide grounds for sound and promising business decisions. The statutory compliance needs will continue to grow with the business. Hence our profession will be a vital role for any business.

Cs Sailakshmi

In addition to what Venkat said, in the coming years, to ensure good corporate governance we can expect more stringent rules and regulations that the companies are required to follow. Our institute is also taking steps to make CS professionals as multidisciplinary. Hence our profession will play a vital role in the coming years.

 

Interview by: CS Mohankumar, Past Chairman ICSI SIRC

 

2 comments:

  1. Best wishes to Sai and Venkat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Highlight of this article is the Wedding Invitation - Amazing !!!

    I wld like 2 inform d couple tat I hv saved their wedding invitation - Please.
    I request their permission after saving it - Please.

    ReplyDelete