Sunday 25 July 2021

CS Family - Father, Son & Daughter in Law- Mr Venkateswaran family

1.       Please share your experience as a CS Student- when you started the course and how you completed it

CS Venkateswaran

When I passed B.Com., in the year 1979 through Maduri Kamaraj University Distant Education programme, I wanted to do some professional course as mere degree will not suffice me in future career. The best course to pursue through correspondence was ACS and my well wishers also advised to pursue the same as the demand for CS was increasing then. I took the course somewhere in 1980s and obtained the Membership certificate in 1992.

                CS Prasanna

I started the course in 2006, immediately after I joined college. CS foundation classes were being offered in the college where I studied B.Com (Guru Nanak College, Chennai). We used to have weekend coaching classes. I secured the maximum marks in the examination amongst all my college mates of that batch. I completed Intermediate and Final at the very first shot and enrolled as a member in 2011.





  CS Nethra

I am a straight through process to CS course. I didn’t go to college after my 12th (It was a conscious clear decision). I wrote my CS Foundation in Dec 2011 and then completed both the modules in Executive by December 2012. Of course, Professional Programme took its own sweet time and I completed it. While pursuing the course, I completed my articles training under CS L V Shyam Sundar Sir. Finally, got my membership by November 2016.

2.       How each of you made progress in the Profession- where you worked and when you started practicing or joined current employment?

CS Venkateswaran


I worked as Company Secretary and Assistant Vice President in a leading share registry which is listed company with Mumbai and Delhi Stock exchanges till 2000. Thereafter I decided to practice. The situation when you are in employment is different and when you practice it is different. You are under the management when you are in employment and the scope to acquire the skilled acumen is less whereas the scope to acquire the acumen is more as you will be dealing with different categories of entrepreneurs.  It goes out without saying that I have made a good stride while in practice.

                CS Prasanna

My CS internship training was with CS K.Krishnamoorthy of Chennai. After completing CS, I took  CA as well. My CA article ship was with Deloitte Haskins & Sells, Chennai. After my articles got completed I worked for some period with my father, CS B Venkateswaran and gained good knowledge.

Currently, I work under Murugappa Group for Chola MS General Insurance Company Limited, Chennai.

CS Nethra

I joined EDAC Engineering Limited (SPIC Group) as Secretarial executive in June 2016. By August 2016, I was a qualified CS. Much to my surprise, on completion of my MSOP, I learnt that my boss has resigned and the company wanted me to be their next CS. So, by November 2016 I was a KMP to EDAC. It was on June 2018, I decided to venture into my own practice.  Gradually, I started my practice and by god`s grace it’s been good. Of course, looking forward to progress in it.

 

3.       We believe two of you are practicing and one in employment; Can you kindly tell what each one of you is professionally doing now

CS Venkateswaran

Professionally at practice I am doing reasonably well. It is the mind set whether to go for employment or engage yourself in the practice side of the profession.

             CS Prasanna

In my current employment, I am part of the Fraud Control function and functionally report into the Chief Risk Officer.

                CS Nethra

At present, I am much into teaching Law for CA, CMA and CS and have started my practice. Moving forward on a long-term, I would be establishing myself as a practicing CS.

 

4.       Is it advantageous to have 3 professionals from the same profession? Any pitfalls?

CS Venkateswaran

Once again it is the mind set how you deal with the situation. At times it is highly advantageous and at times it is not. It all revolves round how you take it and deal with the situation. It is purely a subjective analysis and you do not have a tailor-made solution for this kind of situation.

             CS Prasanna

Having 3 professionals of the common background in the family helps us to understand mutual issues and support each other when required. I don’t see any pitfalls in this regard.

CS Nethra

Frankly it’s desirable. When my parents were looking for a suitable groom, none of them understood what CS was or rather understood what the term means and my nature of work. Prasanna, was the first CS I met and it was very accommodative for us in terms of professional understanding. Especially when it comes to taking classes, having same professionals at home is an advantage as they understand what you are into and how much time and effort it demands.

 

5.       How do you see the professional opportunities to the CS in employment and practice today?

CS Venkateswaran

I feel there is large scope in the practice side of the profession. It will be more lucrative when you get an opportunity to get into high profile MNC, where everything is being dealt highly professionally. It all depends what you get and how you decide. It is purely personal decision.

                CS Prasanna

Professional opportunities are galore. However, its in our hands to make best use of them and keep ourselves constantly updated for the same.

 CS Nethra

Employment opportunities are plenty and there are many areas in practice as well. With IBC, Valuations and GST there are lot of opportunities for CS Professionals. The only concern is that a good governance and ethics are to be followed at all levels.

Interview by : CS Mohankumar, Past Chairman ICSI SIRC 

1 comment:

  1. Valuations & GST - d most interesting concept 2 b practiced.

    Hr v hv 2 bring facts abt products and recommendations in-terms of GST Rates.

    Valuations r 2 b stringently analyzed as many hv witnessed speculative reports.

    IBC - CS Professional should handle it with "iron-hands" as creditors r happily (unfairly) waived-off.

    ReplyDelete