Sunday 22 August 2021

Know Your Member: CS Arvind Rajeevsarathy

 1.       Tell us how you started doing ACS and about your student days.

I schooled in Vidya Mandir, Mylapore and chose to do B.Com. - Corporate Secretaryship at Vivekananda College (Evening). I enjoyed my student days and did reasonably well in studies. While pursuing B.Com, I decided to take CS exams because corporate laws interested me a lot! And the journey continues.

 2.       Which was your first employment? What are the companies you have worked with?

 My first regular employment was with VKC Forex Group - a leading Chennai based Forex Major (now defunct). I shifted to Dr. Agarwal's in 2013 for a six year stint there. It was a challenging and rewarding experience and I was fortunate to get tremendous exposure in Corporate Laws -SEBI regulations, FEMA , Investor Relations and VC funding and, of course, Companies Act.

 3.      How did your passion towards quizzing start?




 I was interested in Quizzing from my school days and it blossomed to an all-consuming passion later. Today I seek quizzing as an integral part of my life. X Quiz It has taken it upon itself to mentor students who have an aptitude for quizzing to participate and excel in inter-school and other major quizzes- both national and regional levels. We have enjoyed considerable success in this venture.

 4.       What are the different things you are doing in quizzing?

 In 2011, three avid quizzers including myself formed “X Quiz It” - a quizzing, infotainment and knowledge services firm. We decided to disseminate the quizzing enthusiasm across all age groups and catering to varied interests. We continue to come up with tailor-made infotainment workshops which captivate the target audience and stoke their appetite for more.

 5.       Guess in quizzing you are more interested in Cricket and have participated with famous cricketers too in events…

 I have always been passionate about cricket, but cricket is one face of X Quiz It's eventful journey. We don't believe in straitjacketing ourselves in a particular sphere. An opportunity came our way to do a programme on behalf of TNPL. We grabbed it enthusiastically. 

 6.       How have your employers looked at your passion?

 I have been fortunate to work under understanding employers who allowed me to ply my skills. However, such gestures are forthcoming only if we perform our job to their satisfaction. It was a mutually beneficial arrangement. 

 7.       What are the major events in which you have participated?

 We have conducted quizzes and workshops with IIM, IIT, IISC, ICAI, IFMR, SRM Group, MOP Vaishnav College for Women, etc .We were content providers for KBC Tamil (NVOK) for a couple of seasons. We have conducted close to 250 programmes and going strong.

 8.       Tell us about our family. How supportive are they?

 I have been blessed with a supporting family. They take great interest in my passion and stand by me at all times. My father is CMA, now retired. My Mother is a homemaker and an avid quiz enthusiast. My wife is a qualified CS and has supported me in structuring and editing the contents. My elder brother Dr. Kashyap is a highly qualified mathematician and has been very supportive and proud of my achievements.

 9.       What do you want to tell those who want to have a career as well as a passion?

 It requires great skill to strike a balance between career and passion. There are a lot of variables such as commitment, contacts, support systems and understanding employers. Sacrifices have to be made at critical junctures. Eventually the passion becomes a full-time career just as it has happened in my case.

 Interview by: CS Mohankumar, Past Chairman ICSI SIRC

No comments:

Post a Comment