Sunday 13 June 2021

CS Family - CS Raghavan & CS Gayathri- Father- Daughter Duo

1. How CS profession attracted you? Your student days and how you finished the course.

Cs. Raghavan:

Basic qualification is B.Sc; (Geology). Becoming a geologist was my ambition. As I could not pursue further studies, joined UCAL GROUP as an Accounts Assistant. Maintained statutory registers even during probation. Advised by the group CS, pursued CS course. As there was no study material, I used  reference books available in the office. The long journey time in suburban train was my study time. Immediately after the completion of CS (within one month) I joined THANJAVUR TEXTILES LIMITED, a listed company as a Company Secretary and served in the company for more than 21 years. Now, I am proud as a CS professional.

 Cs Gayathri Raghavan

Though I knew about this profession from my kindergarten days through my father, my aim was not this while in school. I was more inclined towards Chemistry, and after my high school by chance I entered commerce stream. I started with CA course but ended up finishing CS, as I had a better aptitude in theory subjects. Now I’m definitely in love with the profession.

 2. Father and Daughter being in the same profession – How do you see it

 Cs. Raghavan:

It is really an advantage if two people in a family are in the same profession

Cs Gayathri Raghavan

When compared to starting your practice as a standalone professional, being in it with some one you know well definitely gives better understanding towards the subject and also towards how to approach your profession.



3. What are the positives, negatives and challenges in two people being in the same profession.

Cs. Raghavan:

Everything is positive only.

Cs Gayathri Raghavan

First thing is the course and the profession itself being a known thing. I had a set platform to start my career from. I had his guidance always. I could easily get his opinions and nuanced handling of clients. I could learn many things from observing his actions.

Biggest challenge for me is to sustain the level of professionalism and develop myself as there will be an expectation on me. Coming out from his shadow and creating a space for myself would be my aim. No negatives to list out.

4. Do you discuss work related matters at home?

Cs. Raghavan:

Yes. We do not hesitate to discuss, whenever required. People are asking me to consult Gayathri also before giving opinions.

 Cs Gayathri Raghavan

Having my office at home and dad being the senior and mentor, yes we obviously discuss work at home.

5. What was the thought of Mrs. Raghavan on their only daughter taking up CS profession similar to father

 Cs. Raghavan:

 She was very happy, when Gayathri completed the course. She could not believe, when Gayathri had an offer from a group of companies immediately after passing the examination. At present Gayathri is a consultant there.

 Cs Gayathri Raghavan

She was always very supportive and encouraged me to pursue the field of my choice. Motivated me to never loose hope during student days. Bad luck that she couldn’t see me as a professional.

6. Passing out CS course 25 years ago by father & now by daughter– which one is tough

 Cs. Raghavan:

As no study material was available at that time, I had to depend on reference books available in the office. Pursuing a course when in employment was very difficult.

 Cs Gayathri Raghavan

When compared to the old system, now there are lot more new legislations and acts to study. To negate that difficulty we get good study materials.

 7. Your relationship with ICSI & SIRC and any memories that you would like to share

 Cs. Raghavan:

I had an opportunity to have personal contacts with most of the past presidents of ICSI from Chennai. I have good rapport with Ms. SARAH madam.

 Cs Gayathri Raghavan

Through my father I could get in touch with many esteemed seniors, faculties and even the administrative side of SIRC.  ICSI has provided me with a professional path and SIRC along with giving a professional platform to succeed has also been a place to develop friendships at personal level. SIRC would always have a special place in my life.

8 Any final thoughts you would like to share

 Cs. Raghavan:

My status and economic condition improved after becoming CS. This profession has given me an opportunity to have high level contacts.

 Cs Gayathri Raghavan

Two people in same profession is a boon, which only a few of us get. I see a growing trend here where the next generation following their parent’s/elder’s footsteps. Good for the CS profession too.

Interview: CS Mohan Kumar, Past Chairman ICSI SIRC

No comments:

Post a Comment